When you arrive, please enter through the Café. You can purchase anything from Axum’s extensive menu. If you want to remain on the “Café” side, and look through the viewing window, you may do so. If you would like to enter the Cat Play/Adoption Area, then you will pay for admission at the same time you purchase your food and you will be given an admission sticker. Any food purchased in the café may be brought into the Cat Play Area. But we ask that no outside food be brought in and that you don’t feed the cats any food.
During non peak times, you may enter the Cat Play Area right away and your admission is good for 1 hour of meet and greet with the cats and kittens. During peak times, a reservation may be necessary. Please note that for the safety of the cats, we may have to limit the amount of people in the Cat Play Area at any given time.
Once you enter the Cat Play Area, we suggest that you sit down and let the cats come to you. If you are a potential adopter looking to provide one of our felines with their forever home, you will be able to learn more about the personality of the cat. You can also ask our staff and volunteers about their behaviors and they will be happy to match you with your perfect cat!
We have listed below some information to keep in mind while you visit. Of course we haven’t thought of everything, so please think of the cats first and feel free to contacts us with any questions. We ask that all of our guests follow the rules of for the safety of our cats and our guests.
- Any children under the age of 12 will need to be accompanied with an adult. We love our little guests, but want to make sure they are supervised. There are designated days and hours for children under 12 to visit with the cats. All other times are for adults only. It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure children are playing with the cats responsibility. Abuse of the cats will result in being asked to leave the cat area. For further information on children’s hours and information, click here.
- We always have cats, so please leave your furry friends at home.
- If you feel uncomfortable for any reason during your visit, please don’t hesitate to step outside the cat play area.
- Please immediately alert a staff member for assistance in the case of any emergency.
Playing With Cats
- Don’t forget that cats are cats, which means they are curious, loving, aloof, frisky, and lazy all in the same day.
- Cats love to be clean, so we ask all guests to sanitize their hands before entering the cat play area.
- Use Inside Voices. Cats have very sensitive hearing, so please speak quietly in the Cat Play Area, silence your cell phones, and take phone calls outside.
- Cats love to chase, but they don’t like to be chased. Please let the cats come to you.
- Take lots of pictures, but please don’t use any flash. Please tag us with @orlandocatcafe or share your pics via #orlandocatcafe – we’d love to see your pics!
- If you wish to hold a cat, please seek out a member of the staff and remember to be gentle!
- Please don’t sit, stand or climb on anything designated for a kitty. If you have a question, please ask a staff member.
- We have cat toys – no need to bring your own!
- Never ever give your food to the cats. We give our cats special diets to keep them healthy and “people food” may cause stomach upset.
- Cats love to nap so much they call it “cat napping”. Please don’t wake a sleeping kitty. No one likes to be woken up from a good nap!