It’s November! For me, November used to mean one thing and one thing only – GRAVY! I LOVE turkey but I really LOVE turkey gravy. Those of you that have been reading this column for some time know about my love of all things gravy and November is usually the time that I devote my entire column to it.
But this year has been a momentous one for the Orlando Cat Café and so, I thought I would devote this column to giving thanks and expressing gratitude, which is apparently another tradition of Thanksgiving (who knew?).
I have many, many things to be grateful for this year. Here is just a sampling:
• In 2019 we celebrated the 400th, 500th and yes, even 600th adoption at Orlando Cat Café (and we are getting very close to celebrating the 700th). I am very thankful for all the adopters out there that have opened their hearts and homes to our kitties.
• I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to the many media outlets that covered us this year from Visit Orlando (Buzzworthy Coffee Shops), Pulptown (Best Places to Self Love), Orlando Weekly (Lose yourself in a day trip to the quaint Clermont), Orlando Date Night Guide (Orlando City Guide, Best Things to do in Clermont), ClickOrlando.com (Unique Orlando Bars and Restaurants), WFTV ABC News Orlando (Locals Only: Painting and Palettes Class), Telemundo (Clear the Shelters), YOGA Magazine (Cover Story – Yoga with Cats), Allison Walker Torres (On the Town: 5 Things to Know About the Orlando Cat Cafe), Lola the Rescue Kitty Blog, and Unique Eats and Eateries of Orlando for including us.
• I am thankful that we welcomed our 60,000th visitor as well as our 10,000th Facebook Check In.
• Gratitude abounds to Sweet Tomatoes on Hwy 192 in Kissimmee who partnered with us for the entire month of June to promote Adopt a Shelter Cat Month.
• I am grateful to Caroline Kellam from Pawsitive Strides Pet Sitters for teaching important lifesaving skills for cats (and yes, dogs too) in our 2-day Pet First Aid and CPR Class.
• I am humbled and grateful to have my own Plush Doll (click here to purchase online!).
• I am grateful that we set new records this year for kitty adoptions – 14 adoptions in one day during our Mega Adoption Event and 15 cats in one week in July.
• I am also humbled that Lake County Florida awarded us our own “Official Day” on September 8th marking our 3rd anniversary. Thank you South Lake Tablet for covering our proclamation!
• I am thankful to all of our guests who visit, tell their friends about us, post on social media and send us donations of food, toys, beds and litter. I am grateful for friends like Lilli K. who matched the adoption fees for my friends Poochie, Nunu and Reeces and for Eric D. who made a $400 donation to the SPCA Florida’s Guardian Angel Fund during their Black Cat Special Event.
• I am thankful and grateful to SPCA Florida and Axum Coffee for being such purr-fect partners and to Regina and Stefanie who manage all of our social media accounts.
• I am also thankful and grateful to Kim who cares for us every day (and empties our litter pans!) and Paola who makes sure we are in tip top medical condition and to ALL the volunteers from SPCA Florida who do everything to make the Orlando Cat Café everything that it.
• And lastly, to Jessica, who makes sure that everything runs smoothly every day.
On behalf of people and cats at The Orlando Cat Café, THANK YOU and have a wonderful Thanksgiving season (and don’t forget the gravy)!